Music video: Crystal Kay - Busy doing nothing

Music video: Crystal Kay - Busy doing nothing | Random J Pop

I like this song. The Prince throwback vibe does it for me nicely. Ever since Spin the music Crystal has dabbled with this fusion of pop, funk and rock and I really like it. It brings out the sass and the soul in her vocals. The production on this song is stellar and brilliantly arranged, continuously building to a climax, with there not being a dull moment throughout the entire thing. And those high note runs Crystal catches at the end!? *DIES*

I don't know how well this will do commercially for Crystal, well...anywhere. Crystal can't even fall back on the hopes of this being a hit in Japan. But as a fan I'm glad to hear new music from CK and think that "Busy doing nothing" is a great choice of song for her to be introduced to Western audiences with. It showcases her nicely and feels completely organic.


Vivid featured much stronger songs for sure, all of which would have made great emissary's for English releases. But still, I like that this is Crystal doing Crystal without any compromises to her sound. Free of gimmicks. This makes a change from the likes of Hikaru Utada and BoA who did complete 180's on their sounds and tried to emulate what they thought Western audiences wanted to hear from them, which stripped away many of the essences of who they were as artists and what made us love them when they were releasing Japanese studio albums. Also, the songs which could have made good lead singles for them, weren't the ones which were chosen. In this regard, the cards are definitely in Crystal's favour.

Some fans are getting bent out of shape over the video, but I liked it. Crystal's video are as basic as the instincts of Sharon Stone. So if you ever go expecting anything more from Crystal in the ways of concepts, fly special effects, outrageously amazing wardrobes and an actual budget which has more than 2 zeroes in it before the decimal point, you've lost your mind.

Comments

  1. I thought her wardrobe was on point this time around. THOSE ABS. As for the song, I'm really not feeling it. This really doesn't live up to any song on Vivid. It sounds more like a Vivid reject. I was expecting something more a long the lines of What We Do or Take It Outside. If I were to come across this song not knowing who Crystal is I would probably shade the bitch to hell and back. I wish she would have showed off her vocals more, those runs at the end were great, but that was the only vocally impressive moment of the song. Overall, this song is very safe, and It just wasn't what I was expecting from her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about we discuss JoJo's new mixtape instead. I didn't think it was possible, but she's stepped up her vocals: https://soundcloud.com/jojoofficial/jojo-intro?in=jojoofficial/sets/lovejo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like I said before like the song the lyrics not so much. I happy for the general positive responses of this debut. A lot of people wanted her to do Rn'b but I am actually happy she did this even if it's a little bit generic. she's taking risks and try to appeal the general public.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God you were reading my thought exactly I am listening her new release right now on soundcloud I am loving it she really improved!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The thing is she isn't taking any risks musically. This song is very by the numbers. Also, the response seems to be overall lukewarm from fans. I think people are more excited about the idea of a U.S debut more than anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I can't wait to see what she has in store as far as original material goes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was saying taking risks because she's more into pop now but the song could have been sing by Katy perry. I would have been popular though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. SOO.... uhm I fucking love it. And can we just talk about how THESE SONGS ARE TOTALLY WHAT CRYSTAL IS CAPABLE OF???? I think she is trying too hard to be something she's not. We all know Crystal would kill a track like "caught up in the rapture"

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is exactly what I said to my friend yesterday in reference to the song. I think it's an incredibly basic, b-side ass pop song for the most part and it is most certainly not gonna get her noticed out here in the west. I'm not even mad that she debuted with a pop song but this just isn't the right one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL Yeah, everyone in my family is a fan of Crystal Kay, so I was having a similar discussion with my brother and sister. My sister doesn't like the pop direction she's taking with her music, and she hated Vivid. My brother and I loved Vivid, so we were expecting something more a long the lines of VIvid, so we were both pretty disappointed once this song surfaced. This song honestly reminds me of something that bitch Karmin would release, that little "Mic check 2 to the 3" part especially. I don't think this song is out right bad, it's just basic and I KNOW she can do better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, and Crystal's got a great head voice/ falsetto so I know she could kill a song like glory as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. JoJo snatched. She man handled Anita Baker. Actually man handled that shit.


    Never forget how JoJo reached for Coko's wig for her cover of "Weak" at age 14. Never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And then she came for the remaining wig pieces when she covered it at one of her live shows recently. I loved her cover of Caught Up In The Rapture, but it was definitely how clear and strong and almost operatic her voice sounded in Glory that impressed me. `

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't know how I'd feel about the song when the first verse came around, but when the chorus took off, I was so into it. Hearing Kuri-chan sing in English is most definitely *not* an awkward experience (unlike Utada and BoA #JustSayin') and I definitely hope she gets some kind of recognition with this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "I was expecting something more a long the lines of What We Do or Take It Outside."


    I enjoy the thought of Take it Outside 2.0 more than this song

    ReplyDelete
  16. "It's a Crime" should now be a single. Just saying. :)
    I love the song, the lyrics does need some work. Crystal looks very happy, and not forced happy like in the older vidoes. You can tell a pretty penny was spent on this video. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing hun! This was a joy to listen to. I hope she releases original material again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. If I must be honest, I'm not really feeling this song at all. It just comes across as too juvenile for her to sing lyrics wise. I was expecting more mature and attention grabbing and less "pop-y". Oh well. We'll see what else she has in store in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely ADORE CK! She is my sister in my head but this track was very listless and uninspired. This a very dissapointing choice of music. Not bad but most certainly not great. However I am so very happy for her that she is making it. She can only go up from here. I would have much preferred "Dumb Ditty Dumb" as her U.S. debut. Still love you Crystal!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is an American pop song; nothing more nothing less. We all should expect it to be a little brainless. It's sugary, cute, easy, infectious, and effortless thanks to Crystal. It's great and CK looked like she had a lot of fun singing/doing this song.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

HTML tags for bold, italic and hyperlinks are allowed